Squeakland plugin on Linux [was: Re: Squeakland.org]

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue May 8 17:33:38 UTC 2001

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Michael Rueger wrote:

> The *ix version of the Squeak browser plugin is missing the required
> security primitives. Bert and others started working on this, but until
> then Squeakland does not support *ix.

Here's a version that works for me with Netscape 4.76. No luck with
Mozilla 0.8.1 yet, though ...

http://wwwisg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/squeak/plugin/npsqueak-i386-linux-30p2a.tar.gz
http://wwwisg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/squeak/plugin/npsqueak-noarch-30p2a.tar.gz

Untar both into your home directory. Restart Netscape. Enjoy Squeakland.

The first archive contains the binaries (plugin + vm), the second the
image (from squeakland.org) plus it creates the directory structure to
make it work even though the SecurityManager is not actually implemented.

The file sandbox is always enabled for the ~/.netscape/squeak/image/
directory, it contains both the untrusted and secure directories. That
means the plugin can do no damage easily. This is the current tree:

  ~/.netscape

    +--- plugins/
    |    |
    |    +--- npsqueak.so

    +--- squeak/

         +--- squeakvm

         +--- image/

              +--- SqueakPlugin.image

              +--- secure/
              |    |
              |    +--- Squeak.keys

              +--- untrusted/

I've put my sources (based on Ian's 3.0pre2) into
http://wwwisg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/squeak/plugin/npsqueak-src-30p2a.tar.gz

Let me know if it works or breaks, as usual ...

-- Bert