Restricting super calls to inherited method

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sat May 19 15:49:27 UTC 2001

Paul Fernhout wrote:

> I've been thinking about prototype based implementations for Squeak
> (something like Self) and have run across an idea I wanted to check out
> with people on the list which might improve Squeak performance (with or
> without classes).

//snipped//

> Has such a thing been done before in a Smalltalk-like system (it seems
> "too" obvious to be new now that I see it)?
>
> Self seems to respect inheritence of prototypes:

//snipped//

> How difficult or easy do people think this approach would be to try in
> Squeak?
>
> Any comments on whether a significant performance boost would be likely
> to materialize?

These are all interesting questions to which I don't know the answers!

But, the idea of classlessness has certainly been discussed (within the
last couple of months) on the Self list --
self-interest at yahoogroups.com -- if you've not come across it.

I also suspect that Cel or Merlin may make use of some of these ideas. A
google search should throw up some papers.

On the other hand, Jecel Assumpcao Jr (a google for Jecel will turn up
most of the stuff) who could give you definitive answers to most of
these questions usually watches this list.

Cheers

John

> -Paul Fernhout
> Kurtz-Fernhout Software
> Developers of custom software and educational simulations
> Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
> http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com

Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."