web application frameworks in Squeak?

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Fri May 25 20:15:30 UTC 2001

John Hinsley wrote:

> Apache (or whatever) + MySQL (or whatever) + PHP. It can be made to work
And there is always Java ;-)

> But I wondered, looking through the Sqiki stuff, extrapolating snippets
> from
> this list, just what it'd take to do a web application framework in
> Squeak,
> perhaps using Comanche as a basis? (It'd be nice to use an OODB, too!)

One thing that would be really nice to have would be something like the
Java/Tomcat people are doing.
You run a "real" web server like apache and delegate only the
interesting calls to an out of process Servlet/Squeaklet engine
communicating over a socket based communication (AJP12/AJP13 that would
be for tomcat).
I didn't have the time yet to look into how much that would take, but it
would provide the best of both worlds.

Michael