consolidating squeak web presence

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed May 30 13:48:52 UTC 2001

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Russell Allen wrote:

> AFAIK, it shouldn't be necessary to move the minnow swiki from the
> machine it is on to make it reply to swiki.squeak.org.

Correct.

> swiki.squeak.org already appears to point to the squeak.org machine at
> 207.71.8.55.

So we just need to change that DNS entry to point to 130.207.118.114
(minnow's IP).

>  All that is really required is to use apache rewrite rules
> to map swiki.squeak.org/* -> minnow.gatech.edu/squeak/*.
>
> All this should require is the editing of the apache.conf file and a
> 'apachectrl graceful' to restart.

If you do this, not only every Swiki access would be slowed down (because
it's tunneled through squeak.org's Apache) but also the IP of a page
editor couldn't be recorded anymore, as all requests would seem to come
from squeak.org.

Making swiki.squeak.org pointing to the physical IP address of the swiki
machine is the the only real solution.

-- Bert