Squeakland.org

G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl
Tue May 8 07:20:23 UTC 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Bert Freudenberg [mailto:bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 11:58 PM
To: squeakland at squeakland.org; squeak at cs.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: Squeakland.org

This is in a hacked-to-work Linux Plugin with a not really brand new
interpreter ( 'Squeak3.0 of 4 February 2001 [latest update: #3446]') and
the 'Squeakland 3.1.3905' image, so that might be a source of the problem.
I'll try to make a proper plugin ASAP ;-)

Ger wrote in other message

I love Squeakland:
- 1. It sits convenient in my webbrowser and only if I grow in my wishes
(for example by the nice squeacland.org examples.) I have to download the
stand-alone-Squeaks that ask more study but offer also more power.
- 2. I disagree with Alan taht users should step out the browser as soon as
possible: I would prefer that the way I am used to navigate as a
webbrowser-adapt will be respected by these Squeakers until, see point 1.
- especially the tutorials with the workspace area and the scrolling
tutorial together in one window steal my heart. (Dan and Scott, you could
look at these pages for an inspiring format for your own beginners
tutorials, the expert tutorilas will of course live in Squeak-books or so?)

(By the way, a question button, combined with a most-often-asked-FAQ-box
would make these pages complete for exercising visitors.... Of course you
have to organise the answering of the emailbox, I understand, I understand.)

Small remarks:
- Near the end of the race-car tutorial I miss at least one picture in the
part about colorUnder, but I think I miss more.

- If I end a visit to an example on the "Early Play and Exploration" page,
pressing the back button of my browser (Windows98 IE 5.50.4522.1800)  sends
me back to the page: Squeak in Schools: I would prefer to be moved to the:
early play & exploration page. (The same for creating animations: - As a
beginner I use of course the back-button of my browser, instead of the
previous project in the World Menu - so, your choice depends of the target
group you are aiming at..)

- I did allow you (?) to install the new plugin update on May 3 when I was
asked for it, but now the circus project does not load correct anymore, like
it did last thursday. (Carny show is still not found, so it opens a new
window...)
- I have a screen with 1024x768, but that is not big enough for the Creating
animation page. (I do not see a scroll bar to overcome this
show-the-bottom-of-the-page-problem. Looking more secure, I see that more
pages suffer this problem.)
- a related problem is that the introduction text Etoys and SimStories is
covered by the graphics part on the right? I cannot see the end-of-the-rows,
so reading is now quit an adventure game.

-(Text with underline in the same storie does not function as hyperlinks, is
that correct?)

- Same effects on a WindowsNT-machine with IE. Then i did try Opera 5.11
build 904: A complete desaster on NT and 98 machines:
- First effect is that the red part of the nice squaekland-menu on the left
pops-up to high and hides the part onder it with white.
- Then I try to install the plug-in: first it thinks that i am netscape,
then... nothing.
- I think Opera deserves part of the blame, i had with swiki's also some
strange effects in the past with missing buttons or so..

-- Bert