What happened to the conversion method prototypes?

Jesse Welton jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Tue May 1 18:15:49 UTC 2001

Ned Konz wrote:

> Using CS 3960, I am filing out a change set that changes the shape of a
> class. I have my Preferences set to notify me of conversion methods.
> I am prompted for conversion methods when I try to file out.
> However, when I choose "Write a conversion method by editing a prototype" I
> don't get a prototype to edit. It just tells me to "remember to file out
> again after editing these methods".
>
> Which methods?
>
> Didn't there used to be a method generated with the proper signature that
> then could be edited?

The old conversion methods have been completely supplanted by
#convertToCurrentVersion:refStream:.  Comments explaining the change
are available in SmartRefStream>>aComment.  Unfortunately, there are
still a few references the the old-style conversion mechanism, like
those hanging around in the ChangeSorter.

-Jesse