Unix release (was: Re: Best way to deal with OS events?)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon May 28 21:02:25 UTC 2001

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Kevin Fisher wrote:

> Speaking of the official UNIX source, there have been a lot of patches
> and fixes floating around the list the past couple of months (like the
> serial fixes from last week, for example).  Does anyone know when a
> new 'official' UNIX tarball with all the patches and goodies might
> appear?

*sigh* AWGTHTGTTA?

The last official unix release is 2.7, dated January 2000. Go bug Ian
Piumarta about blessing a 3.0 VM (or even 2.8, considering the Stable
Squeak discussion).

There isn't a single place where all the patches are collected and
integrated. The best one currently is Lex Spoon's
	http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~lex/squeak/

Squeak.sourceforge.net was set up by members of this list to make
collaboration on VM issues easier, on the occasion of the delayed 2.8 unix
VM. However, the main VM porters (of all platforms) were hesitant to take
the official sources to the public CVS. Andreas for Win32 at least tried,
but found the CVS tools for his platform insufficient.

We haven't touched the CVS for almost a year now. Maybe we should just
import Ian's official 3.0pre2 sources as Vendor Branch and work from that?
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Tracking_Third-Party_Sources__Vendor_Branches_
This would allow us to be relatively independent of when a new release
comes out, and it would clearly mark the distinction between official
sources and community patches.

Comments are welcome, volunteers even more so.

-- Bert