Squeak textbox and events.

Wiebe Baron wiebe at cosmocows.com
Sun May 13 10:29:18 UTC 2001

I'm also not very keen on inlined error messages. I have the habit of
pressing Alt-s twice in rapid succession, the first time the red borders
disappears but I only notice the second time when the whole edit box flashes
(or perhaps I just have a need to double check anyway). This extra keystroke
seems to pay off against the frustration of debugging code I've forgotten to
save but you'll understand that things go badly wrong when the first Alt-s
generates an inlined error message.

Besides, having text inserted in your code can feel intrusive and having to
press delete before you can edit your code doesn't seem make much cognitive
sense. It's not that it's hard work, it's just the wrong kind of work!
There's also a bit of inconsistency in that using an undefined variable in
your code brings up a message box rather then an inlined message. Completely
logical, but inconsistent never-the-less.

Using inlined error messages seems to be the simplest solution to the
problem and as a proponent of Occam's razor, I can live with it. Somewhere
down the line we should look at better ways though, because as Einstein
warns:

Cheers,
Wiebe