Squeakland.org

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon May 7 23:24:18 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 02 May 2001 15:12, Alan Kay wrote:

> The first goals for Squeakland.org are to make sure that the plugin
> can be downloaded and run everywhere with as little difficulties as
> possible. We enlist your aid to help do these tests.
[snip]
> For now, please try downloading
> the plugins and then try navigating around, both at the top HTML
> level of the site, and the entirely within Squeak levels below.

OK, using Konqueror 2.1.1 under Linux:

* click on "download", get a brief page saying something about detection,
then get http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/detect/Error message. that says

OOPS!
The Web server cannot find the file or script you asked for.
Please check the URL to ensure that the path is correct.
Please contact the server's administrator if this problem persists.

Sadly, it doesn't tell me _which_ file or script I asked for and it couldn't
find. I would tell the webmaster if I knew that.

Ok, try disabling Javascript. Now the top page looks funny (there are
separate copies in different colors of the navbar). I click on download and
get the same intermediate page
(http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/detect/detect.html?/plugin/launch.html) but
now it doesn't go to the OOPS page. So I click on the link and go to:
http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/launch.html where I see another link to
download it (let's ignore for the time being the fact that I have a broken
install).

Now I'm in
http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/download.html. I see a cute penguin, whom I
know to be the mascot of Linux. It says to click on the picture to install.
Great!

So I click on it. This takes me to: http://www.squeakland.org/notyet.html
where it says:

We are sorry but you have requested a feature that is not yet present. Please
subscribe to the site news for getting information about enhancements to this
site.

So I guess that the install is a dead-end for me.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com