German Squeak [was Squeak for 3-year-olds]

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Thu May 3 03:05:57 UTC 2001

Brent Pinkney <Brent.Pinkney at reuters.com> wrote:
	I always wondered why there are no known programming languages
	with non-English syntax.

There were (at least) Chinese and French versions of Algol 60.
I have seen one program written in Chinese Algol (all I could read
was the numbers and punctuation marks) and a couple in French Algol.

Technically, the same _could_ have been done for Algol 68;
I don't know if it ever was.  (There was a really _lovely_ introduction
to programming, using Algol 68, in French.  But it used the English
keywords.)

O'CAML has a pluggable preprocessor; I dare say you should produce
a German version of CAML in a few minutes too.

The original Prolog, Marseilles Prolog, used French words.
The actual *structure* of Edinburgh Prolog is much closer to, say,
Maaori, than it is to English.

There are enough talented Indian programmers that I would expect there
to be quite a few programming languages looking rather like one or another
Indian language, but they wouldn't have much chance of becoming popular
elsewhere.