[FIX] Re: progress indicator mysteries

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Mon May 7 05:42:31 UTC 2001

Thanks Karl, Bob. That message tally example will be especially useful.

I think I'm getting a handle on ComplexProgressIndicator. It's a smart
little cookie! But not yet quite as smart as it needs to be.  I
generally see random flickering and no display of seconds
remaining. I'm assuming everyone else sees the same thing ?

I believe this is because cached downloads throw off it's timing
predictions so that it consistently under-estimates the time needed.
As a first step towards taming the beast, I made it separate the
history for local & remote files. It seems better to me - no
flickering, and sometimes pretty accurate, considering how little it's
going on :)

After filing in the attached changeset and downloading a few projects
you should see some improvement.

I'd be glad of any feedback, and if someone has already done work or
thinking in this area I'd like to hear about it.

-Simon