Problem downloading SqueakPlugin from squeakland.org

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun May 6 02:10:14 UTC 2001

>Hi all,
>
>I am having problems installing the SqueakPlug. I managed to download the
>SqueakPluginInstaller. It installed an image and an alias named NPSqueak in
>the folder Preferences:Squeak:Internet. However, the alias does not have an
>original anywhere on my hard disk. When I start IE no plugin is found as a
>consequence.
>
>What could be the reason for that?
>
>-- Bernhard

This is a bug I'm attempting to fix. If you do an easy install, it
installs the plugin for both IE and netscape. Now if you had say
netscape on the hard disk but erased it and didn't rebuild your
desktop then the installer gets confused and attempts to install the
plugin for netscape. This of course doesn't work and we fail
gracefully. However the aliases logic gets woken up to correct the
alias for the plugin in the non-existant netscape folder and it's
very confused and somehow manages to trash the real plugin that was
put into the Squeak:Internet folder by overwriting it with an alias
handle.

The installer is very flexible, and very stupid, but I hope to fix it
by monday.

In the mean time do a custom install for the browser you are using.
This should work ok.