Squeak logo eye

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Sun May 6 23:24:20 UTC 2001

Karl,

> I thought that if there was lots of scaling and
> transformation going on all the time it would take
> more time to display.

You are right that a "lot" of scaling and transformation would eat up time
but in this particular case we've got probably like three or four transforms
which are all handled primitively and so, no, it's most definitely not the
transforms that take the time. If you're interested in finding out where the
time goes, run a message tally on the world - what you'll probably see is
that we're spending almost all time in BalloonEngine>>copyLoopFaster and
this means that there are no transforms at all involved. The time is mainly
spent in doing anti-aliasing and performing the final rasterization (which
includes dithering from 32 to 16bpp). That's nothing that is affected by the
(unscaled) size of the logo at all.

Cheers,
  - Andreas