[FIX] Re: progress indicator mysteries

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Mon May 7 21:29:26 UTC 2001

On 07 May 2001 07:06:34 -0700 Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> wrote:
>Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> writes:
>> This seems promising, but:
>> This changeset will not file in. Seems to be beaten up by the
>> cr/lf beast. Could you repost a gz compressed cs ?
>
>Here you go. I'd also like to solve this problem though.

Simon,

If the problem you want to fix is why the first email got garbled, here is what I think happened:

- extraneous (from the point of view of Squeak and various email clients) exclamation marks were inserted in the first attachment.
- the reason for this, I suspect, is that you asked your mailer to attach a file that appeared to be a text file, but which did not have what your mailer considered valid line endings (LF since you appear to be using a Unix-like system). Your mailer wanted to ensure that no lines exceeded internet mail limits and inserted <!><lf> at appropriate intervals. A human receiving this could figure out how to revert to something readable, but many email clients could not.

Compressing the file first avoided problem and often helps avoid other similar problems.

Cheers,
Bob