[EXPERIMENTAL][GOODIE] HintingBrowser

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Mon May 28 13:31:50 UTC 2001

>A funny idea is to color the browser based on the ' complexity'  of the
>method.... so if the method is very long, the panel get red....
>Bye,
>Diego Gomez Deck

As in like this?
(BTW, this changset includes Bobs MethodSubstitute, and so should simply
work, no prerequisites)

from preamble:

"Change Set:		HintingBrowser
Date:			28 May 2001
Author:			Daniel Vainsencher

Experimental!!
Adds hints about the contents of methods in the Browser.
A - accessor
S - just return self
C - just return some constant
P - a primitive
a number - regular code, higher number mean more complicated code.
Complex methods also get their names colored red.

This very alpha code, much hackery, not meant for inclusion in update
stream...
Having gotten this clear, this code can say various things -
1. We can get some information more easily than entering the method,
especially when browsing code. The info found by this version is only
the trivially available, we could do more.
2. Cute icons might be better than letters
3. A smarter PluggableList would be able to get lists of things other
than texts, and display each appropriately - (not like in this code by a
fixed mapping) maybe by asking the list items, maybe by being configured
with the right morph Factory by the application"!