[PACKAGING] Re: Packaging Squeak for Debian

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Wed May 23 18:52:33 UTC 2001

At 23 May 2001 10:58:21 -0700,
Simon Michael wrote:

> > If they use any of the same filenames in the base hierarchy (/usr/bin,
> > /usr/share/doc, /usr/man, etc) then they would have to conflict.
>
> I think you know more about debian packages than I do, but why
> couldn't squeak versions coexist in the way perl & python versions do?

Yes, sure. Debian provide a nice system of alternatives in order to
have multiple programs with similar functions installed on your
machine on the same time. For example, if you have multiple version of
emacs (emacs19, emacs20, emacs21, ...), you
can set the default version. In fact, /usr/bin/emacs is a link to
/etc/alternatives/emacs who is itself a link to your favorite emacs binary.

--
Serge Stinckwich                                   -< )  http://multiagent.com/
CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>I3>SMILE                        /~\  http://squeak.org/