code from Besset book

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Tue May 15 00:51:57 UTC 2001

At 20:38 14.05.2001 +0200, Heiko Schaefer wrote:
>Did anyone make the code from Besset's book
>
>'Object Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods'
>
>Squeak-compatible? Its for Visual Age.

I seem to recall Stephane writing that someone (David N. Smith?) ported
most if not all of it.  I recommend asking Didier (didier at ieee.org) about it.

In the meantime, you might try the "Filing IBM Smalltalk Applications into
Squeak" item at <http://www.dnsmith.com/squeak/index.html> and see if it
helps.  Haven't tried it myself yet, though.

Bystanders, feel encouraged take a look at the paper equivalent of
   <http://www.mkp.com/books_catalog/catalog.asp?ISBN=1-55860-679-3>
next time you're near a dead-tree shop.  It is a great book IMHO, despite
some printing glitches.  Show it to your J-enabled friends, the bilingual
nature of the book might whet their appetite.

Here's the true story I forwarded to Didier:  When I had ordered the book
at my friend's store, he had put it prominently on display for a week or so
while he waited for me to pick it up.  (For one, it has a beautiful cover,
too.)  He told me this when I finally got around:  Many people had noticed
it, leafed through it and commented that wow, it had been a long time since
they had seen a book with real technical and mathematical content, where
books like "Learn FooScript in 5 easy steps" abound.

Cheers,
Helge