VMMaker stuff (was Re: plugin suffix)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu May 10 21:57:54 UTC 2001

A little warning to everyone looking into the VMMaker - remember the
problem I mentioned about the copying of files!

You can either manually re-type them (or even manually copy the
original, correctly typed, ones I suppose) or you can spend a
few minutes to build a version of the FileCopyPlugin I posted. I
recommend the latter, since you only have to do it once....

...and a couple of questions for you as well.

One item I haven't finished is a way to auto detect all the plugins that
should be built. The ugly hack way that springs to mind like 'Frog
Surprise' is to just stick a method #shouldBeBuilt in each plugin class,
but somehow that seems just too ugly. Should I just give in to
expedience? Surely not...

The other biggy is 'who is going to knock up a UI for this thing?' All
it needs is a list of all the plugins (see above!) with three options
for each (internal, external, don't generate) and boolean toggles for
'browser' and 'inline'. Text fields for source & dest directories might
be nice as well. Oh, and 'go' button. Useful extras might be the ability
to only generate a singe plugin, just the main VM etc. Ought to be easy
for anyone that has actually made any UI recently.

tim

Strange OpCodes: CBA: Compare if Biorhythms Amenable