Plugin Versioning Woes?

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Thu May 3 15:05:45 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2 May 2001 13:45:13 -0400 Mark Guzdial <guzdial at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
>There are already some versioning problems with the Squeak plugins,
>it seems to me.  Our ImgEd Swiki and Equation Editor plugin for
>Swikis are based on the U. Magdeburg plugin, which is incompatible
>with the Squeakland plugin.  Already, some of the Squeaklets on Bob's
>SuperSwiki only work with older Squeak versions.
>
>Are there any plans for how to deal with the versioning/compatibility
>problems?  How can we build Squeaklets that will work across versions
>of the plugin?
>
>Are there any plans to put auto-updating into the base plugin images
>so that Squeaklets two years from now don't have to add a couple of
>Mb of source to update the (then) old and obsolete 3.1 image?  (But
>then, auto-updating raises the prospect of tried-and-true Squeaklets
>no longer working after an update -- and if it's invisible to the
>user, then it just invisibly breaks.)
>
>I'm interested in pouring some time into building some Squeaklets,
>but I'm concerned about the costs of maintaining them (versus the
>costs of just letting them break).

Mark,

Andreas has addressed some of the issues WRT more stable places like Squeakland, In the case of BSS, we have a variety of projects published from a variety of images for a variety of purposes. Some may simply be testing stuff that will never be used again, while others may have easily fixable problems. We have generally tried to keep old projects loadable and there may be more work we could do here. To aid in identifying which projects work or do not work, I have created a page <http://209.143.91.36/super/265> where you can describe things that didn't work.

Cheers,
Bob