External Libs (was Re: libcurl?!)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Nov 1 15:22:15 UTC 2001

Kevin Fisher <kgf at golden.net> is widely believed to have written:

> Ditto here...
>
> I had a simple class that used FFI to call some functions in an external
> library.  For some reason, FFI no longer works for me on UNIX
I'm not going to claim to be sure, since the autoconf stuff andmakefile
making still mystifies me, but if you look in the sourcecode tree I'm
faily sure you'll find that the unix ffi plugin is carefully excluded.
If you can hack autoconf/make you should be able to change it. Tell me
how....

> so I bought
> the "NuBlue" book and read the chapter on making plugins...and it made my
> head spin.  I'm sure I just need to re-read the chapter and look at some
> working examples, but FFI is much simpler for 'quick and dirty'
> experimentation.
Take a look at some of the subclasses of TestInterpreterPlugin that use
AndyG's simpler slang style.

tim

Sure it's user-friendly...if you know what you're doing.