External Libs (was Re: libcurl?!)

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Nov 1 18:41:57 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 07:22:15AM -0800, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Kevin Fisher <kgf at golden.net> is widely believed to have written:
>
> > Ditto here...
> >
> > I had a simple class that used FFI to call some functions in an external
> > library.  For some reason, FFI no longer works for me on UNIX
> I'm not going to claim to be sure, since the autoconf stuff andmakefile
> making still mystifies me, but if you look in the sourcecode tree I'm
> faily sure you'll find that the unix ffi plugin is carefully excluded.
> If you can hack autoconf/make you should be able to change it. Tell me
> how....

Yes, I noticed that. :)  I did enable it when I compiled and still no dice..
I must be doing something wrong.

One difference I noticed between 2.9a and the 3.0/3.1 VM is that
the --enable-ffi=yes configure argument went away.

> > so I bought
> > the "NuBlue" book and read the chapter on making plugins...and it made my
> > head spin.  I'm sure I just need to re-read the chapter and look at some
> > working examples, but FFI is much simpler for 'quick and dirty'
> > experimentation.
> Take a look at some of the subclasses of TestInterpreterPlugin that use
> AndyG's simpler slang style.
>
> tim

Thanks, I will.  The FFI stuff I was doing was to "flesh out" a plugin
anyway...now that I know what I want to do (and that it works), I want
to plugin-ize it.

I'm totally new to Slang so I think I just need to get a grip on it. :)