[OT] GEM, Blitter, and Atari ST (was: RE: Debian and SqueakL revisited again)

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Thu Nov 1 21:05:57 UTC 2001

Actually, the first Xerox GUIs were developed on the Alto starting
with prototypes in '72, and directly on the Alto when it started
working in April '73. The Star was many years in the future at that
point. The actual Star prototype GUI was called SmallStar and was
done by David Canfield Smith (one of our three Dave Smiths) in
Smalltalk. Politics prevented the Star from actually being programmed
in Smalltalk (and the path they actually took was a long and dark
one). Cf my previous comments about the AMIGA. Perhaps the best thing
about the Star was one of the first and best attempts to create a
"principled interface design". Various smart folks participated in
this, including William Newman and Larry Tesler. I wasn't crazy about
some of the design choices, but their "principles" gave rise to
better than average discussions and arguments about UI.

Cheers,

Alan

------