[Bug][VM][OSProcessPlugin]Does not run on Solaris

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Nov 1 23:04:27 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 04:36:17PM +0100, Torge Husfeldt wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a problem with the OSProcess plugin. I cannot get it to run on my
> Solaris machine.
> I downloaded the changeset, moved the .c file into the vm-source hierarchy
> and compiled and installed all. (Just changed the $(prefix) because this isn't
> _my_ machine.
> When I start the new vm with a recent Image i get the following error
> messages:
> ioLoadModule(/tmp/thu/Squeak/lib/squeak/3.1a-4164/UnixOSProcessPlugin.so):
> ld.so.1: /tmp/thu/Squeak/bin/squeak: fatal: relocation error: file
> /tmp/thu/Squeak/lib/squeak/3.1a-4164/UnixOSProcessPlugin.so: symbol unsetenv: referenced
> symbol not found

Oh, darn it. I was afraid that would happen eventually. I have added a few
primitives to the plugin for various reasons, but I don't have anything other
than Linux to test it on at the moment.

To "fix" it for your system, delete the primitiveUnsetenv method from
the UnixOSProcessPlugin, and regenerate the C source code (or just edit
the offending function out of the C code if you prefer). I don't think this
primitive is really needed for anything, I just stuck it in there because
it seemed like it should be there to go along with the primitiveSetenv
method.

Sorry for the inconvenience. If you happen to know the Solaris equivalent
of setenv(3), please let me know so I can fix it correctly.

Dave