[ENH] New idea: Integrated spreadsheet support for Squeak

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Nov 2 03:22:24 UTC 2001

Helge Horch <Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de> is widely believed to have written:

> Hmm, the marketing material I have here (for the XSIS product, V2.1 and
> 3.0) seems to suggest a broad spectrum, along the lines of "integrated
> application suite."  Outliner, Business Charts, Forms, Databases, Maps,
> Spreadsheets, DTP, etc.  An Expert System Shell (HUMBLE) thrown in for good
> measure.  Management of security and access levels.  Must have made The
> Customer quite happy.
I used the Analyst a bit many years ago; in fact we (as in 'Smalltalk
Express Ltd' a long defunct pioneering uk company I worked for many
years ago) did a lot of work trying to get XSIS to let us sell it on the
Acorn port of BrouHaHa I did. On a Tek 4405 it was amazingly snappy; all
sorts of neat things were doable. Animated spreadsheet cells where the
animation rate depended on some other cells, cells that were other
spreadsheets or entire expert systems, all sorts of wonders. The most
amazing part was Kurt claiming with a straight face that most of it took
him a single summer to write.

I imagine we could do something very similar but with more colour and
zap with Squeak. Of course, no one but us would care since it wouldn't
be powerpoint/word/excel/access compatible. I'm sure we could however
make a compatible flight simulator easter-egg in our spreadsheet :-)

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Mellita, domi adsum. = Honey, I'm home.