[celeste] moving from Communicator to Celeste....

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Nov 2 16:18:06 UTC 2001

> > [Lots of messages -> lots of memory]
> > >
> > > I'll buy some more! It's actually pretty slow in Netscape, too.
> > Well, more memory is always nice, but this would probably not be
> > critical. I used a 64MB machine to read my 130 mail. And a smaller index
> > is certainly doable if people find that's a problem.
>
> I'm thinking that if I buy a 128Mb module

Celeste takes around 10 megs of memory on my computer, with a 20k
messages.  This was figured out by using "space free" followed by
"help->VM statistics" -- the "old" line in VM statistics should be a
pretty good measure of what Squeak is using, if you run it right after a
garbage collect like this.

Celeste has had 0 effort put into reducing RAM usage, and at this level,
 that seems pretty reasonable.  It would be much more useful to work on
improving the UI, or speeding up index file load/save.

Even the disk space doesn't seem like a terribly big deal to me, though
it would be nice if it were less.

-Lex