[celeste] moving from Communicator to Celeste....

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Fri Nov 2 21:38:17 UTC 2001

Howdy Daniel.

danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:

> Hi Jimmie.
>
> Generally, I suggest you play around with it a bit to get familiar with
> it - you can just download your mail to it - in the default state, it
> will leave your mail on the server, so it won't bother your usual
> archiving.

That's good to know. That way I can play with it learn and contribute to
it until the day comes when it can supplant Communicator. :)

> Celeste has an interesting work model which is somewhat different from
> most mailers I know, so it's worth knowing what it's about before
> deciding whether to move, or what features it might benefit from.

I would like to see a quality email program in Squeak.
I would prefer to work with those already working on than to start from
scratch.

> Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at texoma.net> wrote:
> > I have 10s to 100+ mailboxes hierarchically organized.
> Ouch - that might be a problem. Celeste doesn't have hierarchial
> folders. I don't know if anyone uses it with 10s of categories, I have
> about 10, so I can't say if much more would still be comfortable. One
> way to find out, probably...

If it can't now, I believe this can be resolved. I think it will need to
be.

I have mailboxes as such.

Development
--Smalltalk
----Squeak-dev
----Squeakfoundation
----Minnestore
--Zope
----Zope
----Zope-dev

and so on...

If Squeak had more mailing lists I would probably add a Squeak
subdirectory to Smalltalk.

> > I have close to 600mb and 90,000 messages in mail.
> > I would love for Celeste to be able to handle that.
> I wouldn't worry about the load much - Celeste can probably handle that
> nicely, assuming you have about a few 10s of MB RAM for the indexes.

I have 256mb but I am oh so willing to upgrade to 512mb. :)
Okay, joking aside. Yes I have plenty of memory. However, it would be
nice for it to be able to run on less endowed machines. My wife's Mac
has 64mb and my children's iMacs have only 32mb. I have not tried
running Squeak on any of the Macs yet, so I don't know how well it
performs under those memory conditions.

> > It seems to me (maybe incorrectly) that Celeste would need to do
> > similarly to other clients in that the mail file needs to be broken up
> > into multiple files, generally according to the mailbox scheme set up by
> > the user.
> Having one in-memory index is nice in that you slice your mail
> arbitrarily (for example, according to sender) across all categories
> very easily. That's a part of the Celeste way, and not likely to change.
> ("In memory" is an implementation detail, and thus pretty flexible, but
> the logical concept is pretty firm).

No problemo. My wife and I are heavy filter users.
How else can one manage such mail volume? :)
I would love more powerful filtering options than are provided by
Communicator or Eudora.

I am eager for the day that if I want a feature, I can write it, if I
have an itch I can scratch. Currently its 'sigh' and 'oh, well'. :)

Jimmie Houchin

[snip end of previous message]