[OT]Re: A Review of SqueakNews

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Nov 2 22:46:36 UTC 2001

"Randal L. Schwartz" wrote:

> Editor> If you are offering a free server that will allow fast
> Editor> download of Squeak News issues I will gladly put the ISO CD
> Editor> images of the first three issues free for anyone to
> Editor> download. Bear in mind that the zipped ISO images are 17MBs,
> Editor> 28MBs and 69MBs respectively for the first 3 issues.
>
> Yes, that'd be fine.  I can put them under www.stonehenge.com/SqueakNews/
> Give me a URL to download them (once :) and I'll put them up within 12 hours.
>
> I'm nowhere *near* the bandwidth stonehenge pays for at my co-lo.
> Happy to contribute.

Wow, it's cool to see the squeak-dev list in action, getting things done. :)  Sometimes it is good to post seemingly off-topic ([OT]) items, since you never know who might respond with help.  (Actually, I don't think this thread is at all off-topic for this list.)

My only random bit of advice is that you might consider not putting free CD images online which are *too* recent... that might discourage people from bothering to subscribe (since they can get it for free), and then you wouldn't make enough money to continue operations, which would be a loss for everyone.

Maybe staggering them by 3 months or so might be good? (i.e. make the July issue available online for free now, and then make the August issue available for free when you release the November issue, etc.)  This would still be *plenty* of free material for the community to play with, and would also be a free trial for possibly interested subscribers.  And since SqueakNews includes its own Squeak image/VM, you don't have to worry about compatibility problems with people running older or newer versions of Squeak if they want to read a 3-month-old (or year-old) issue of SqueakNews.

Anyway, just a thought.  Keep up the good work.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com