[BUG] New projects need kickstarting

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Sat Nov 3 01:31:55 UTC 2001

Hi Dave--

> I've been creating a lot of new projects... and have noticed an
> irritating feature. Every time I open a new one, and dive into it, I
> can't get menus to work. I discovered that if I press Command-Period
> (Mac) or the equivalent on Windows, get a walkback, and close the
> walkback window, then things work.

> I just downloaded 3.2 and it did not have this problem UNTIL I set
> options my way. I'm appending the options I changed (from scanning
> the options list) and I hope that something there rings a bell with
> someone.

	I was just able to duplicate the problem and make it go away by turning
either the flaps preference or the navigator preference to true. It
looks like there's some bug relating to entering new projects which have
no submorphs at all.

	I noticed another bug though... As released, Squeak has the flaps and
navigator turned on. If you turn either of them off in the preferences,
then go into a new Morphic project, the new project still has both flaps
and a navigator. It seems you have to change those preferences from
within the new project to actually change whether they appear in
subsequent new projects. Weird...

	Unfortunately, I don't see any way offhand of ensuring that menus come
up in a new project when the flaps and navigator are turned off. Looks
like a SMOP... (hopefully of the NLOC variety :).

-C

--
Craig Latta
composer and computer scientist