[ENH] StarSqueak worlds in Thingies (cmd-o) chooser

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Sat Nov 3 04:45:25 UTC 2001

At 20:02 02.11.2001 -0800, Scott Wallace wrote:
>The reason the other built-in StarSqueak examples are not offered in
>the Objects tool is precisely the one you guess: they take so long to
>launch that the "feel" of dragging them out from the object-picker is
>all wrong.

Hmm.  How about a mechanism to (conditionally?) stop Morphs from stepping
*on* the Hand then.  Let them start stepping once they've been placed in
the world.  I'm no Morphic expert, but doesn't that sound
reasonable?  Rather than leaving them out of the MorphBrowser, selectively?

>Though one may debate the merits of the decision, it was definitely
>intentional rather than accidental.

Ah, OK then. ;-)

>PS:  I agree that we need a good name for this tool, and that
>"Objects Tool" is *not* such a good name.  Suggestions welcome!

How about "MorphBrowser"?  We see categories, we see thumbnails, we drag
out instances.

>[..] -- just select the class you want, and then choose "sample instance"
>from the shifted class-list or shifted selector-list menu.  This feature
>has been present in the system for a year and a half, though I don't believe
>I've ever seen evidence of anyone having noticed it.

Semantic gap, I guess.  Would invoking a command over the map give you an
instance of something in the territory -- who'd suspect so?

Cheers,
Helge