[celeste] moving from Communicator to Celeste....

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sat Nov 3 11:04:44 UTC 2001

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> is widely believed to
> have written:
>
> > Should there really be a system that does not have procmail?
> Which is.....?

... a program for processing mails, hence the name. It can break up
digests, sort messages into folders, remove duplicates (by message id),
generate automatic replies, filter spam, you name it. And all this
independently of the email client, so you can use whatever you like best.

For example, my personal procmail sorts all messages from various mailing
lists into their folders, extracts [FIX]es for the sqfixes archive, starts
the European Squeak Updates mirror whenever Dan sends a [updates] notice,
forwards mirror logs to the respective maintainers (Dan for updates, Bruce
for the UIUC stuff, Andreas for Windows stuff), and answers "unsubscribe"
requests that are occasionally send to our list, besides receiving and
acknowledging student's assignment submissions and various other stuff :)

Back on topic: I think I won't switch to Celeste before the file format is
not compatible with the standard unix stuff. Maybe there should be various
backends? One for the monolithic message file, one for your "each message
a separate file", one for "each message folder a file, nested folders are
directories (my pref)" - and then, IMAP support would be cool, too :)

-- Bert