etoy space invader tutorial (alpha)

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Sat Nov 3 19:35:55 UTC 2001

John Hinsley wrote:

> Karl Ramberg wrote:
> >
> > I'v written up a tutorial with some of the knowledge I
> > have accumulated about etoy scripting. It's not completed
> > but it would be good to get some feedback at this stage...
> > I'm not used to write tutorials and find it hard to get from
> > the click-on-that-button-and-do-this stage to acutally teach.
>
> A brave move, Karl (tutorials are so difficult and time consuming to
> write)!
>
> Just two initial thoughts: I've just taken a look and have yet to really
> get down to it.
>
> My first reaction was to put the GeeMail in a window (just to make it
> easier to roll up -- I guess that most people will try to make the
> project within the tutorial project).
That's a good idea, I'll put it in a window

> My second was that some of the images are very unclear (I may be missing
> something here, but making them bigger and smaller doesn't help with the
> clarity.)
I'm not quite sure what you mean here... All the images are just screen shots
dragged and dropped on the geemail, no scaling but some red marker circles

> It's interesting that you used GeeMail as a way to present it where I'd
> probably have used a book morph or maybe -- boring old traditionalist
> that I am -- html within Scamper.
I have used the geemail before on occasions and liked it.
There is hardly any formatting issues, just type, a new line
where images should be, press return till the cursor appears again
and type on. Just one long scrolling page.
A bookmorph is probably better for a prewritten text as you
know where to put page breaks etc.
I'm no fan of html, too much trouble with external images. I like
the speed of just dropping the screen shoot where I want it, cmd-click
to bring up the halo, paint with a red marker, keep the changes and
just continue typing. It's really good for fast speed and workflow
when dealing with multiple screen shots to work this way so
one does not loose the impetus during not so much fun
explaining :-)

> I'll go and have a nap and then see if I can follow the tutorial, but at
> a glance, the instructions seem fine. I'm sure I'll learn something from
> it!

Hope you have a good time.

Note to my self:
A little better explanation of the project at the start would
probably be a good thing to add, so the reader know which
issues will come up and see where it's going. Maybe even a

Thanks for your comments
Karl