[celeste] moving from Communicator to Celeste....

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sat Nov 3 20:41:39 UTC 2001

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001 danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:

[snip]
> If you decide to try it out, you might want to "leave mail on server",
> and then fetch your mail to both Celeste and your usual client. This
> might get you duplicate messages on Celeste (if your other client didn't
> remove the messages you've already downloaded), but these can be readily
> handled using the "find duplicates" function.
[snip]

The last time I tried this I found it pretty durn painful. Now this was
back in 3.0alpha days, but still!

It would be nice if Celeste didn't just download everything. I *believe*
there's some way to only fetch unfetched messages (I seem to recall Eudora
being able to do that).

Hmm. My Quick Scan of RFC1460 suggests that there's no formal way to do
that *but* that it shouldn't be *too too* hard to work up something. If
you're only working with one mailclient leaving stuff on the server, then
the server may keep track of the last item RETRed. My usage scenario is
something like: want to do most mail handling in Celeste *but* would like
to leave mail on server for IMAP access when I'm away plus I might want to
download the mail to a different machine for archiving. For me, then, it
probably will work (if this RETR thing is correct). Leaving mail on the
server for redownloading just seems broken to me.

Anyhoo.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.