[ALL] Test for supporting changes

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Nov 3 21:50:39 UTC 2001

>Hi
>
>I would like to know your point of view on that:
>     I think that it is really important for multiple reasons (ease of
>integration, documentation, refactorings....) that we try to joined testCase
>with the enhancements or bug fixes.
>
>I know that this can be painful but if we could succeed to slowly but
>steadily build a database of tests for squeak this would be great for the
>future. Because this is like putting money into a bank account slowly you
>get money that you would not ;).
>
>I will to apply that to myself. I'm trying to extract the fileList with
>registry from SWT to port it into Squeak3.2a and add some tests.
>
>Stef

Yes, this would be good. For example I'm going to write some test
cases for the platform specific primitives. Why? Well to compile a VM
under OS-X using Apple's Project Builder you need to convert HFS path
names to Unix path names where you do unix file IO, this is done by
some OS calls.

So for example Lamie:Squeak:Squeak.Image becomes
/Volumes/Lamie/Squeak/Squeak.Image

As you see the name aren't a straight forward conversion.

However, golly to ensure that it all works means I need to have those
test cases.

Also at OOPSLA Tim had reported a problem to me with how directory
contents were reported, which had different behavior on unix versus
the mac. Hopefully this will flesh out differences between VM and
unify the vision.

Besides there must be some XP folks out there chanting, where are the
test cases?