[celeste] moving from Communicator to Celeste....

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Sun Nov 4 00:30:22 UTC 2001

Hmm sorry Bijan, no offense intended, just an unfortunate choice of
reply-target. I know you're familiar with Celeste - I was reading today
on SqueakNews about how you adapted it to do the summarization aid.
Pretty cool.

I'm happy new people are recently looking into it, and they might gain
from playing around with it some more.

I mostly agree about the separation.

Definitely at the storage level - MessageFile really knows almost
nothing about mail. It could be cleaned up pretty easily, and renamed,
say FlatTextStore. Also, right now both IndexFileEntry and MailDB
shoulder parts of the (significant) responsibility of mapping msgIDs to
offsets. This responsibility could be moved to FlatTextStore, making it
a pretty closed package with a clean interface (#addText:,
#removeTextAtID:, #updateText:atID: - everyone else knows only IDs).
Heck, it might even be a useful repository for other tools.

As far as Celeste is concerned, this would split the "keep a coherent,
efficient archive of mail items" responsibility off from the "keep a
fast search&filter index" responsibility, which has been discussed for a
while, and would probably be good for all objects concerned...

I've started doing the easy part of cleaning up MessageFile, not yet
moving responsibilities.

Daniel V.