etoy space invader tutorial (alpha)

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sun Nov 4 22:58:15 UTC 2001

Alan,

I've never had the sense that there would be good interaction until all the images were loaded. In the case of the space invader project, there are some 40 separate pictures to retrieve - all done at higher-than-UI priority. The real killer timewise is that each of these pictures gets written to a file and runs afoul of the garbage collection we inflict on testing for the existence of a file. These gc's consumed 30 of the 50 seconds it took me to retrieve the project from start to finish and virtually all of the time once the project was visible, but not responsive.

Cheers,
Bob