Three Threads Of Squeak

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Mon Nov 5 19:10:28 UTC 2001

Basically, there were 3 big design phases for Smalltalk. The main
architect for the last two (ST-76 and ST-80) was Dan Ingalls. The
intent of Squeak was to start with ST-80, upgrade it to the 21st
century, and then use it as (a) a base to experiment with children's
and "the rest of us" scripting, and (b) as a metalanguage to produce
a completely better essay at OOP.

I would say that all but (b) got done pretty well (and there is still
a lot of potential for (b)).

Cheers,

Alan