A Beginner Does Some Morphic Stuff

Ed Heil uncorrected at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 16:42:26 UTC 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 06:41:53PM +0100, Karl Ramberg wrote:

> Ed Heil wrote:
> >
> > That's cool.  Is that a Self thing kinda?
>
> A lot of stuff can be acomplished just by executing
> a piece of code in a workspace. I guess your whole
> morph could be just that instead of putting it
> in a initialization method in a subclass.

Or manually tweaking morphs by means of menus, even...

> You could make a button that execute the workspace code
> when pressed and store your program that way too.

I'm not sure how I'd do this...

> The good thing about using subclasses it that you have
> some _powerfull_ tools to help you on the way.
> Also the code is stored in the image for easy reuse.

Yep.  The only time it'd be appropriate not to use subclasses, I
suppose, is when what you're producing is a trivial recombination of
existing pieces.  "Plugging" pluggable things.

> One problem with instance programming is that
> when you delete the instance, it's gone.
> Remember to save your work.

Yep.  I do *like* the idea of instance programming -- or more
specifically of prototype-based programming.  I've read about Self and
it seems really great (that is, it fits in well with my personal
prejudices about apt ways to represent reality ;).  It's a pity it's
not really being developed anymore and there are no working
free-software implementations...

> If you want to test the etoy scripting tools you
> probably have to use it in the textual mode because
> there are no tiles to do http/networking as far as I know.

I'm not too familiar with etoys, yet.  I could stand to read a few
more tutorials on the swiki or wherever before I do much with them. :)

"A. We're not evil.  B. We're not an empire."
 --Steve Ballmer of Microsoft, lying through his teeth
Ed Heil ....................... uncorrected at yahoo.com