[ENH] scampMultiImage

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 6 18:09:19 UTC 2001

> *ethics note:  by doing this I realize I am bypassing the comics
>  creators' pages and costing them advertising revenue.  But I tried to
>  go to, say, the Dilbert home page in Scamper and it brought Scamper
>  to its knees, all that incredibly gratuitous layout and excess crap!
>  I consider the tiny loss of ad hits engendered by this tool to be an
>  unfortunate consequence of the syndicates making pages that are too
>  hideously complex to be reasonably viewable in Scamper. :)

It works fine for me, although note that Scamper is doing the (normally)
nice thing of downloading one image at a time, so it can take a while
until the comic loads.

I'll attach a simple patch to make it download a few images at once,
which seems to get you to the comic faster.  :)  Another nice trick is
to avoid downloading identical images multiple times, but that's
trickier.  The best system would probably be to have a global download
manager for HTTP stuff; this would move all the trickiness into one
place, and that one place would have all the information it needs easily
available.

-Lex

from preamble:

"Change Set:		scampMultiImage
Date:			6 November 2001
Author:			Lex Spoon

Download multiple images simultaneously, to help with sites that have
zillions of pictures on them."!