[Newbie] Memory question

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 7 16:29:19 UTC 2001

"Andrew C. Greenberg" <werdna at mucow.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 6, 2001, at 08:20  PM, Jesica Andrea Wulfson wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody, I'm running Squeak V3.1Beta and I'd like to know if
> > there's a method i can use to assign an amount of memory for the VM.
> > Does it work the same on Mac and Windows? If it doesn't, I'd like to
> > see both methods because I work on Windows and my teacher works on Mac,
> > and we both want to know the same.
>
> If by this, you means reserving memory for the VM, reserving memory for
> plugins and the like, this is straightforward.  On Windoze and Unix
> machines, the memory is more or less allocated through ordinary means,
> malloc, et al.

Unfortunately, Squeak's usuage isn't all that ordinary.  Squeak needs
all of its heap to be in one contiguous block, and ideally it wants to
allow that block to grow and shrink.  This is apparently possible on
Windows, and it can be faked to some degree on Macs and Unix, but it's
far from ordinary.

Now, there is no theoretical problem here -- Squeak could certainly have
its heap in multiple pieces.  However, it takes someone with a good
knowledge of garbage collection and a few spare hours to make this to
happen....

-Lex