[Newbie] Memory question

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Nov 7 19:46:22 UTC 2001

>  >
>>  Now, there is no theoretical problem here -- Squeak could certainly have
>>  its heap in multiple pieces.  However, it takes someone with a good
>>  knowledge of garbage collection and a few spare hours to make this to
>>  happen....
>A few more than a few spare hours in my experience. I do think that we
>could benefit from a separate space for large non-pointer objects though
>- big bitmaps etc.
>
>tim
>--
>Tim Rowledge, tim at sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
>Some programming languages manage to absorb change but withstand progress.

Mmm don't forget fixed objects.

Right now there is solidification around a new Linux Virtual Memory
manager. It's interesting to read what the objectives were, versus
the old solution as per Tim note above about when to decided what to
swap out on 1MB active books.

Hint: you swap out what you don't need real soon now. Details are an
exercise for the reader.

quietly avoiding a pending fix for macintosh aliases...