[BUG] large files?

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Thu Nov 8 01:31:19 UTC 2001

John M McIntosh wrote:
> Mmm since I've the file primitives all spread apart on my workbench
> to fix this mac alias problem I'm wondering if there is interested in
> and or we should look at:
>
> large > 2GB files.

I think you should go for it.  It seems like anytime somebody says that
nobody'll ever need more than XXXX of some resource, then sure enough
somebody does.  At this point, if you're in there anyway, we can at least
try and support large files from Squeak even if the underlying OS support
won't. There should also probably be a query to FileDirectory for the
maximum size of a file supported by the platform in that particular
directory - *not* a global system attribute since some platforms can support
different file systems with different maximums in the same directory tree.

Also - did you/somebody deal with the file truncation issue?

-- Duane