A Squeak PDA

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Fri Nov 9 06:48:23 UTC 2001

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Dan Ingalls wrote:

> >1. Figure out how to get rid of focus-follow mouse.  Wasn't there a CS
> >that did this already?
>
> I'm not sure if anyone accomplished it.  Someone (Jon Hylands??) had a
> changeset that simulated the touchscreen, though, so you could tell
> what wouldn't work (mouse-overs, for starters).

I recall Mark G. saying something about making a CS that accomplished such
for his students.  Something about being used to tab to get to the next
field and them being annoyed about focus following mouse. :)

> >2. A soft-keyboard morph
>
> I don't know if anyone has actually done one (though the topic has
> come up).  If you look at PianoKeyboardMorph, you'll see how easy it
> ought to be.  PKM is an entire working 88-key keyboard in 4 or 5
> methods.

Well, 30 minutes later I had a working KeyboardMorph that even had
different keymaps.  All lower-case right now, but will be adding a
caps-lock, numbers, and perhaps a 'symbol' key.  It doesn't quite work
though, as when the morph has focus, it won't send events to a
text-accepting morph that is out of focus.  But I know it works if I make
it delay a second so I can reposition the ActiveHand. :)

Hopefully, the KB morph will be mostly used in training CharRecog or
Genie.

> You might get a quick start from the PDAMorph, but then you probably
> want to do a more modern interface.  The Calendar and Clock will
> probably be useful at least.

Indeed! Thanks for contributing it. :)

> Hope this helps.  I'm afraid all I can do is kibitz (too much other
> fun stuff), but good luck on it!

Thanks!  It means alot coming from a Dan-Ingalls. ;)

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "A weed is just a plant whose virtures have not
                     yet been discovered."            :: r. w. emerson