Rolodex example: doMenuItem: 'search for text' not working

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 9 20:38:20 UTC 2001

Actually, I tried several different choices for doMenuItem and
many of then had results that were ... bizarre.

I was trying to learn Squeak, and the Rolodex tutorial seemed an
apopros place to start (because I would have a use for the
result), so I began.  The screen design went along fairly well.
  (I started from scratch a few times, just to be certain I was
doing things correctly, and, naturally, found out that I hadn't
been :-).  Then I got the to scripting section...

The blue eye opened the scripting window properly, and choosing
the miscellaneous tag got me to the correct section of the
scripts list.  But when I tried to specialize the domenuitem
choice...
If I pick 'search for text', then the choice simply disappears
from the script.  If I look at the code, domenuitem: is
attempting to execute a null string.  Typing it in by hand
doesn't help.  This is the stranger as it worked the first time
that I tried it (even though the command appeared blank in the
graphic representation).

Experimentation showed that several other commands also yielded
a blank choice, and some yielded a choice that didn't match what
they should have matched (i.e., the text changed after I
selected the choice from the menu).

This was all with a freshly downloaded (11/8/2001) copy of the
windows version of Squeak 3.0 (and upgraded).  Well, the
tutorial said that it was run against 3.1, so perhaps I should
to the upgrade to 3.1alpha ... no change.

I don't really have much of a clue as to what is going on (this
was the first time I has as much as looked at a Smalltalk in 3
years), but the mailing list archives seem to say that something
that might be similar to this was happening back in June.  Or
perhaps in February (there were two occurances, one of which
even involved the Rolodex tutorial [not surprising... I was
searching for something to help figure this out]).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your patience.
--
Charles Hixson

Copy software legally, the GNU way!
Use GNU software, and legally make and share copies of software.
See http://www.gnu.org
     http://www.redhat.com
     http://www.linux-mandrake.com
     http://www.calderasystems.com/