GPL Pro/Con Rantage

Ed Heil uncorrected at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 16:14:59 UTC 2001

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 01:15:59PM -0500, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:

> We can quibble all we like about what, specifically, Ed was or was not
> saying.  This is one of the reasons these analogy wars accomplish
> nothing.

Well, being myself the entity known as Ed, I happen to know what I was
saying.  My point was the paradoxical nature of GPL vs BSD arguments
-- that the BSD is "more free" in that it contains less restrictions
against restricting the software later on.

The "freedom/slavery" paradox was a poor one to choose; I should have
picked something with less hot-button potential, such as the "can God
create a rock he can't lift?" paradox.  Doesn't matter, minor point,
not that topical, I only keep bringing it up because you keep bringing
it up and misunderstanding it.

With regards to your later point, about the suitability of GPL for
Squeak, I don't think I ever argued that it was suitable for Squeak,
only that its limitations didn't make it into the Newspeakish
monstrosity you seemed to think.  I did also admit that you were
better informed than I was on the issues of using GPL'ed software with
Squeak and apologized for any ignorance I inadvertently spread.

As I remember, this all began with a discussion of whether or not
Squeak could be included in Debian, which is a completely separate
issue from whether it would ever be appropriate to GPL it (there's
lots of non-GPL software distributed with Debian), which is a
separate issue still from the discussion of whether or not it would
be appropriate to use the full GPL for any code written for Squeak...

And all of the above are different issues from whether or not the FSF
is a perverse entity full of Newspeak and perversion of the meaning of
common words.

I'm curious, though, would anything in the world keep you from
distributing GPL'ed Squeak code in the form of a fileout?  Obviously
fileout'ed code that couldn't be distributed in an image would be of
limited usefulness, but it wouldn't be utterly useless.

And would anything keep you from distributing LGPL'ed code as part of
a Squeak image?

Ed

"A. We're not evil.  B. We're not an empire."
 --Steve Ballmer of Microsoft, lying through his teeth
Ed Heil ....................... uncorrected at yahoo.com