LabRat

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Nov 13 17:06:34 UTC 2001

On Monday 12 November 2001 11:40 pm, Philip Knodle wrote:

> 1) I can't get the refactoring browser to work.  I have a lot of things
> I want to change, but I
> can't seem to get the rerfactoring browser to work.  Can anyone point me
> at documentation?

What do you mean by "it doesn't work"? First, have you loaded the whole thing
(it doesn't come with Squeak)? As I recall I loaded a project and a few
change sets, though the packaging has probably changed since then.

Then, if you do from a Workspace:
RefactoringBrowser openBrowser
you should get a browser entitled "RB" that has RB items in its class name,
method name, and method text pane context menus.

> 2) I need to figure out how do streaming.  I want to stream over a
> collection of numbers that
> aren't on the the machine yet.  I made a direct subclass of Stream, but
> I had to change the new method to not throw an error.  I don't know if
> this is what I should do.

You may want to look at subclassing ReadStream instead, and overriding
pastEndRead to read one or more new numbers into your stream's collection
(which should be an Array for the minimum work).

> There is a lot to do at this point.  I want to integrate Denis Damico's
> meters somehow.  Also, I want to write a plug in for the DAQ drivers,
> but this is other topic all together.

Sounds like fun! Note that (depending on the OS, the DAQ boards and/or
drivers) you might be able to use FFI instead of writing a plugin, or you
might be able to get directly to the board registers.

You'll find that Squeak is a good fit for hardware control in many ways.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com