A Squeak PDA

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue Nov 13 21:59:42 UTC 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Ohshima, Yoshiki wrote:

> > It'd still be 10 MB saved.  When you're talking about a device that has 16
> > MB of RAM, that is signifigant.
>
>   Can you elaborate it so that I can get the possible
> breakdown of the memory usage?

I'm saying that The H3150 iPAQ unit has 16 MB ROM and 16 MB RAM.  WinCE
seperates that 16 MB RAM into RAM and program storage space.  Squeak and
an image, as you say, will come out to be around 8 MB.  WinCE may
automagically compress that, but tops we have 12 MB left for other
programs and as RAM.

If I add a CF card (which I'm planning), it adds more storage space for
files and programs.  Can WinCE use this as RAM, or are CF cards dedicated
"disk" space?

On the other hand, if I'm using Linux, I can put that 10 MB image+vm into
ROM with a very minimalist Linux install.  I can use the entirity of that
16 MB of RAM as RAM.  I can also use part of the CF card as swap if I
amass quite a bit of data in Squeak.

Believe me, I'd just use WinCE if I could get the most out of the device.
If there was a simple utility that came with the SDK that let you make a
custom built ROM image to flash, I would.  It'd be a lot less hassle, and
no doubt get a lot better battery life than Linux.

> P.S.
>   By the way, I sometimes feel that some people use the word
> "iPAQ" as if it is a generic name of "highend handheld
> device", in a way "Xerox" used to mean "copy machine."
> However, the other manufacturer have better products in
> these days.  If someone gets Squeak run on those new ones,
> please let me know how it works!

I never noticed that so much myself.  People say "Palm Pilot" to refer to
all PDAs, I've noticed though. :)

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "the end of the human race will be that it will eventually
      die of civilization. "                          :: r. w. emerson