Help! Simple SOAP that runs now

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue Nov 13 22:58:19 UTC 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, David N. Smith (IBM) wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I've been looking around for a simple implementation of SOAP that I
> can use to access a SOAP server.
>
> On the SWICI there is one based on the Camp Smalltalk code which is
> proclaimed not to work and which needs some large prereqs: "VW XML
> parser and ComSwiki ". I'm not sure why the VW version of an XML
> parser is needed,

Mostly because that's the specific parser the implementation is written
for. SOAP requires reasonably elaborate namespace support, IIRC.

The VWXML parser shouldn't contaminate your image too badly :)

> nor quite what ComSwici is since the page pointed to
> never mentions it.

But it does point to it :)

	http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~umejava/smalltalk/soapOpera/index.html

has links and implementation instructions.

[snip]
> Does anyone know of anything simpler that mainly works? About all I
> need is to wrap up a method call and send it, then unwrap the answer.

If it's really very specific, I'd say just hack it. By very specific I
mean you pretty much know what methods you want to call and what kinds of
answers you're getting back.

I have a friend who claims that there's a clear SOAP subset that's roughly
equivalent to XML-RPC (as there should be :)), at least in the sense that
it's a reasonable one person one weekend project. My impressions of SOAP
overall, though, is that it can get somewhat hairy.

FWIW, I just downloaded SoapOpera 0.2a. My quick scan of the code makes me
think that's it's pretty reasonable to play with.

Well, I loaded it into a current ComSwiki image and there's some
brokenness due to changes in ComSwiki.

Well, that's a bit of a bummer.

Hope this helps.

Though I don't see why it would :)