A Squeak PDA

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Wed Nov 14 14:21:07 UTC 2001

Aaron,

I don't use Windows regularly, but I use Squeak on a WinCE iPaq all the time.

My basic work mode is to build and test my applications on a Mac Powerbook
(which has a PCMCIA card slot). I then dump my image onto a Compact Flash
card, pop the card into the iPaq, and launch Squeak. This process is pretty
fast--less than a minute. I don't use WinCE for anything except launching
Squeak. Thus I've never needed to "hot-sync" my iPaq to a Windows
machine. I can install new Squeak VM's using the CF card, and that's all
I need.

I'd have no objection to using Linux on my iPaq, but I've had no reason
to switch. The WinCE VM works nicely and supports everything I need,
including sound input and output, wireless networking cards, etc. (Linux
on the iPaq may also support these things, although I suspect that there
would be some lag before driver for new kinds of cards would be available
for Linux.).

The great thing is that, with Squeak, it almost doesn't matter which OS
lives underneath the Squeak VM--your Squeak code doesn't care. This
property also makes cross-platform development a breeze.

	-- John