Bug tracking

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Nov 15 05:38:23 UTC 2001

Andres Valloud wrote:

> > > Are there any interesting approaches being adopted out there by
> > > the Squeak community for tracking bugs?
> > No, it's been basically ignored.  Do you know of a good system we
> > could use?
>
> I think a set of slightly organized wiki pages would do...

Actually, the Harvesters are using a set of slightly organized wiki pages to track fix/enhancement submissions which are being folded into the base Squeak image. (http://209.143.91.36/super/415)

But those wiki pages don't really cover *bug* tracking, that's true.

Of course, there is a system which simply records Squeak bugs right now, the sqbugs archive: http://swiki.gsug.org/sqbugs/  (hmm, seems to be down at the moment.)

Gerald Leeb wrote:

> Would be great if the bug-tracking system tells me >>who is working on a fix<< or that >>no one cares about it<<.
> So it could prevent that more squeakers are working on the the same bugfix (not very effective).

That would be nice.  Some sort of simple system which lets someone register interest in fixing a particular bug, to avoid duplicate work, and to keep track of what hasn't been fixed.  (If more than one person registered interest in a bug, the people involved could email each other about it, too.)

Note that this is a separate process from harvesting.  Everyone in the community would use this tool to try to fix reported bugs.  Then, the Harvesters would use a (possibly different) tool to harvest these fixes for the base image, as a separate step.

Then again, it would be nice to have all of that integrated into one system, including a mechanism for having bugs/fixes checked off once they appear as updates, etc.  But that'd be a bit more work... maybe we should just get a couple of simple separate systems going first.

(Such a system should ideally mail [BUG] reports and [FIX]es to the list, even if they are submitted through a different mechanism...)

Anyway, I'm just offering ideas at this point, I don't really have time to work on this myself. :)  (other than the harvesting side of it)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com