Horizontal Scrolling a PluggableTextMorph?

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Nov 16 00:04:46 UTC 2001

(a reponse to an older post...)

Kevin Fisher wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> This seems like a relatively simple concept, and yet by looking at the
> implimentation I don't think it can be done "out of the box"...
>
> Can the PluggableTextMorph be scrolled horizontally, as well (or instead of)
> vertically?  Basically I'd like to create a text entry box of a fixed
> width that will allow me to enter text into it, scrolling it horizontally
> (like Windows/X11/Mac text fields).  Is there a quick and dirty way to
> do this, or do I need to create my own brand of PluggableTextMorph, derived
> from the TwoWayScrollPane class?

The PluggableTextMorph currently only supports vertical scrolling.  Probably you would need to subclass from TwoWayScrollPane.  (Or possibly subclass from PluggableTextMorph... hmm.)

Ideally PluggableTextMorph would support both modes: vertical scrolling & text wrap, and vertical/horizontal scrolling & no text wrap.  There was some talk of working on this at the OOPSLA Bug Fixing Party, but no one got to it.  (Probably more than a day's work. :) )

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com